The Herbert E. Carter travel award is intended to offset some of the costs associated with domestic or international travel expenses such as airfare and meals. Only these kinds of expenses will be covered. These awards are meritorious and will be granted on the competitive and innovative content of the statement submitted with the application. NOTE: The Carter Travel Award is a cash award and is therefore taxable (10%).
- Complete the online application form.
Please NOTE: You must log in using WebAuth UANet ID to access the application form
- The online application form will prompt you to upload the following application requirements: A copy of the abstract you submitted to the conference organizer; lay abstract, which is a 1 page version of your abstract suitable for a “lay audience”, non-scientific verbiage and understandable to someone not in your field and what makes it notable (how it advances your field); a statement of how attending this particular conference/event will help your professional development; a copy of the conference acceptance; a copy of your conference registration. The conference acceptance and registration forms may be submitted at a later date. NOTE: if selected as an awardee, all documents must be on file to constitute a complete application packet which is required in order to receive award funding.
- You will also need to type in the name and email address of your advisor on the form. On submission of the online form, an email to your advisor will be generated to request her/him to send a recommendation letter in support of your application by attaching the letter/file in a reply to the email message. Please let your advisor know to expect this message. The recommendation letter is considered part of your application packet, and as such is required in order to complete your application.
- Please confirm your name is on each document you upload to the application, prior to hitting the submit button.
Next Open Session:
|Application Deadline||For Travel Dates|
|May 15, 2019||July 1, 2019 through September 30, 2019|
Future Travel Dates & Application Deadlines:
- Travel: October 1, 2019 through December 31, 2019: application opened in July; deadline mid-August
- Travel: January 1, 2020 through March 31, 2020: application opened in October; deadline mid-November
- Travel: April 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020: application opened in January; deadline mid-Februrary
To be eligible for a Herbert E. Carter Travel Award, you must:
- Be enrolled as a student with a major in a GIDP, or a minor in Cognitive Science, Global Change, Indige-Food, Energy, and Water Systems, Remote Sensing & Spatial Analysis or Social, Cultural, and Critical Theory.
- Be in good standing (not provisional) and have a minimum of a 3.0 GPA
- Be selected to either present a paper, poster or talk at a professional meeting
- Be the graduate student who is conducting the research for which the paper, poster or talk is being presented
The award is intended to offset some of the costs associated with international or domestic travel expenses such as airfare, and meals. These awards are meritorious and will be granted on the competitive and innovative content of the statement submitted with the application. Awards are contingent upon the availability of funds and the number of applications per session. Students are eligible to receive up to a total of $600 per fiscal year. Students may submit only one application per application deadline. Awards are limited to two (2) per academic degree (e.g. 2 for a Masters and 2 for a Ph.D.). In the event that you are unable to attend the conference for which you received an award, you must return the entire amount to the GIDP administration office.
- Awards are contingent upon the availability of funds and the number of applications per session.
- Students are eligible to receive up to a total of $600 per fiscal year (July 1 to following June 30).
- Students may submit only one application per application deadline. Awards are limited to 2 per academic degree (e.g. 2 for a Masters and 2 for a Ph.D.), but preference will be given to applicants who have not previously received a Carter Travel Award.
- Applications will be judged on the clarity of the application, the quality of the research, and the value of attendance at the particular conference for the candidate's professional development. Ordinarily, students closer to completing their degree requirements will be considered stronger candidates, but all students are encouraged to apply.
- All Herbert E. Carter travel awards are processed in accordance with University of Arizona Policy.
- In the event that you are unable to attend the conference for which you received an award you must return the entire amount to the GIDP Administration office.
Note that the Herbert E. Carter Travel Award is a scholarship and as such is part of your taxable income.
Within two weeks of your return, you must submit the following materials to the GIDP Administration office:
- A short summary (1/2 a page to a page) of your experience and how it was valuable for your professional education.
- A digital photograph of yourself, preferably in a research setting or at the conference.
These materials will be put on the GIDP website for promotional and fundraising purposes.
Note: It is important for the applicant to follow these rules. Applications will not be reviewed for travel dates that are outside of the travel dates associated with each of the quarterly application deadlines. Late applications will only be considered at the discretion of GIDPAC based upon the availability of funds and when the application was received. Multiple applications during any given quarter from the same GIDP program will be entertained, but the committee strives to distribute available funds amongst all participating programs. Applications may be submitted for review without registration and confirmation from the conference organizer that they were selected as a presenter however, students who are chosen as an awardee by GIDPAC will not receive their funding until all application documents are submitted to complete the application before the intended conference/travel dates.